Re: [DML] Upgraded Front Suspension

When I used to live in upstate NY and drove daily year round on all sorts of roads (gravel, dirt, paved roads that looked like Swiss cheese with pot holes, etc); my front end went through many ball joints and LCA -> frame bushings. My drivers side bushing is still trashed from 2 years ago. I've never replaced arb bushings on the car. I'm sure if mine being original held up like this (never left me stranded-just constantly replacing parts), Bill's would probably be better off. I've never broken/cracked an LCA-even when I had a catastrophic lower ball joint failure that ended up with LCA grinding along the asphalt until the car came to a halt; and I've never popped a spring from its perch. However, I am another to say that I hate the original LCA though as it does seems terribly thin. Other than that - if I had the extra money that didn't have priority over the needed fuel pump/system, carpeting, weatherstripping, etc - I may "upgrade" as well. -----Dan B.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "K.L. (KAYO) Ong" <klo@...> wrote:

> Mr. Robertson:
>
> How well will your modified suspension hold up on the treacherous
> streets and roads of New York City?
>
> Kayo Ong
> Lic  9D NY
>
> On Oct 20, 2011, at 11:20 PM, content22207 wrote:
>
> > I just drove from the NC/SC border to DC on my new front
> > suspension: Byrne's LCA's *AND* Ed's outriggers. The combined
> > effect is nothing short of revolutionary. This is the way these
> > cars should have been built in the first place. If people promise
> > not to crash my car, I will let them test drive it at DMA this
> > weekend.
> >
> > Anyone who has ever removed their sway bar knows how floppy OEM
> > LCA's are (let's be brutally honest -- they're unacceptably floppy
> > even with the sway bar in place). Even before my sway bar was
> > reattached, the lower "wishbones" had absolutely no fore/aft
> > movement whatsoever.
> >
> > Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional