Substitute Automotive Refrigerants. (was: Re: [DML] R12 to R134 Conversi

Substitute Automotive Refrigerants. (was: Re: [DML] R12 to R134 Conversion Help)

Umm, not to try and step on anyone's toes, but if you're going to maintain your car's R12 MVAC system you really do want to stick with only using R12. Unless you're selling the car and don't care.

Freeze 12 is basically nothing more than a blend of R134a and R152a refrigerant gasses with fluorescent green dye mixed in for leak detection. The 152a gas means that it's also flammable, though it's bigger concern is the fact that inhaling it can cause respiratory problems and even death. Plus since it's using R134a it's just gonna slowly leak out anyway.

HC, or Hydrocarbon Refrigerants are not much better. Those are made from blends of propane, butane, and other HC-based gasses that are typically used as fuel. Inhalation isn't as deadly although it leads or more long-term central nervous system damage. It's flammability is hellaciously worse however with spontaneous ignition occurring at room temperature from something as simple as a static discharge.

R12 & R143a have none of these problems. With proper ventilation they pose no health risks (like rolling the window down or having outside air blow in through the vents), and their flashpoints are also very high so they don't pose the same risks. Which is precisely why they are chosen as automotive Refrigerants. Very dangerous when you consider that older systems that already have moisture in side and possibly internal corrosion as well as external on the wet condensers could spring a leak and vent into the passenger compartment.

There is nothing wrong with sticking with R12 or converting over to R134a. But whichever system you use I was recommend you really make sure that you're sticking with the appropriate, safe gasses.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rod Dillman <rhdillman@...> wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Can't help with a lead on someone to assist you on a conversion. My advice is to find and repair your leak and stay with R12. You can still find R12 on ebay and Freeze 12 is still available as a substitute. I just restored the AC in my 78 Eldorado and used Freeze 12. I converted it to 134a once and the higher pressures blew the old hoses. When that happened I bought a new compressor, purged the system and went back to R12. If you need a source for Freeze 12 contact me, I just bought a case of it (12 cans) for $159 which included shipping costs. You may find it cheaper than that but my source had quick delivery, I ordered at 9AM one day and had it by Noon the next day and the source was not local.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Rod
> 10921

<*> Your email settings: