Re: [DML] Re: Angle Drive options & performance

Re: [DML] Re: Angle Drive options & performance

Bill, we've done this before. just because DMCTalk is down doesn't erase
what's already been said....

> Any angle drive is going to suffer weaknesses common to all:
> - Helical gear teeth that only contact each other in the center of each gear (all it takes is a little bit of wear in the teeth, or the brass bushings that hold the gears in alignment -- especially the axle gear, and they won't make contact anymore)
Mostly correct but a little bit of grit is all it takes low torque screw
gears like these from jamming. And because the cable is only able to
transfer so much torque, it breaks rather than forcing the gears past
the particle of grit (which would absolutely wear them out but much more
slowly). The distributor drive is another example of a screw gear.
> - Primary wheel rotation turns the gear teeth into each other, which tends to bind them (you can feel the difference turning an angle drive forward&  backwards in your hand)
What do you mean by "turn into each other"? The axes are 90 degrees out
on an offset and have 45 degree teeth, such is the nature of screw
gears. Spinning in opposide directions simply reverses the direction of
the axial force applied to each gear. Both gears are flat one end and
have a cable through them at the other so there's a different surface to
rest up against.
> In addition, any axle cable that is wound clockwise (most are) will be subjected to constant unwinding pressure in the primary direction of wheel rotation.
It's a spring. It is equally strong in either direction but being able
to flex provides it with some protection..

Just to clarify the angle drives I used to re-sell are still made by
http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/ - Due to customer service issues I
decided to remove them from my site. Anyone who wants to buy a
rebuildable unit, they can still be ordered directly

Best Wishes

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

<*> Your email settings: