Re: [DML] Re: Carbon fiber louvers - anyone interested?

Re: [DML] Re: Carbon fiber louvers - anyone interested?

Hello Don

I'm glad you like my ideas. I do realize that our cars are not $100K, but a
lot of owners, like myself, don't really think about what the car is worth.
I love my DeLorean and it doesn't matter if it's worth $10 or $100K. I still
want to make improvements and make it better, faster, nicer and last longer.
There is a problem if I can afford those improvements but that is a
different story.
I'm still talking with the manufacturer trying to get the best price and
quality possible. The most expensive part here is the mould but that is a
one time fee. This means that the cost of the mould and tooling will be
divided by the number of orders. The more people order the part, the lower
the final price will be. The mould required to make new louvers will cost
about $8000. If we can get 10 people each will have to pay $800, but if we
can find 20 people this cost will drop to $400 each.
Each carbon fiber louver will cost about $1000. This means that each unit
will cost about $1800 with 10 orders and about $1400 with 20 orders. Plus
shipping. That is why I mentioned the price of $2000 with shipping included.
Original fiberglass unit costs about $500. Is the carbon fiber unit four
times better? To me it is!

I hope we can make it happen for the price you mentioned. I will let
everyone know...

Come on people!! Let's make this happen! :)

By the inner bumper structure you mean the foam 'block' that sits just
behind the fascia? If yes then this part is completely independent of the
fascia and its design. It is up to the owner to decide if he wants to keep
it or not. The fascia is exactly the same either way.
On my car I want to keep the inner structure. The way people follow the
DeLorean so close makes me afraid that I will eventually be rear ended. You
know, everyone wants to take a closer look and they follow one, maybe two
car lengths behind me. If I have to hit the brakes.... the disaster is just
waiting to happen.
I have received some suggestions that I could remove the black bumper strip.
This might be a good idea. The manufacturer says that they might be able to
use the same mould for both types of fascias - with and without the black
bumper. There's also a question how to remove it. We can either make an
exact copy but with the black strip made the same color as the rest of the
fascia or we can "shave" the bumper off. This will depend on what the
potential buyers want for their cars.

That's all for now. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the talks
with the manufacturer.

Greetings from Poland!
Tom Niemczewski
Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086
Google earth: 52°25'17.66"N, 21° 1'58.40"E

From: "Don Ekhoff"

> Tom,
>
> Love what you are trying to do. Problem is these are not $100K cars so
> it's hard to justify serious discretionary add-ons for most owners.
> Any chance to drop the price to get the volume up? I'd be interested in
> three louver sets for $4000.00 assuming the combined shipping helps save
> some cost.
>
> I also like the fascia idea. I have removed the inner bumper structure
> from the rear fascia on two of my D's figuring the reduced weight well
> worth the slight risk I could be rear-ended and it substantially
> changing the outcome. Were you intending on removing or keeping the
> inner bumper structure?
>
> Don Ekhoff
>

> On 04/05/2011 04:20 PM, Tom Niemczewski wrote:
>>
>> James,
>>
>> The production will be in Poland but the prices I'm talking about already
>> INCLUDE the shipping cost.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: