[DML] Re: Was Turn signal switch - Car Display Option(s)

[DML] Re: Was Turn signal switch - Car Display Option(s)

I gave up in frustration..Showing my Bricklin at some major indoor auto shows...because for some strange and unknown reason,people "think" that just because they paid for admission they have a right to do things they would not normally do for instance,one time while in one show I actually FOUND someone trying to force closed the drivers door...and unlike Deloreans...on all Bricklins they are not Manual doors,but Air Doors,working off a hydraulic system...so once up no amount of human strength will force them closed(unless you break it closed)...anyway I saw this happening when I was heading back to my Bricklin..after taking a bathroom break..from about 100feet away..I shouted at him from that distance to stop...but that did not deter or stop him from trying to destroy my door...so I was forced to run and I manually grabbed both his arms and pushed him off the door..and guess what he started swearing at me...!!!!Security came over and I explained what he was doing...and he still though he was doing nothing wrong...lucky the doors on a bricklin are pretty durable and I caught him before he did do some damage..needless to say that was it for me and major car shows...this was at a Autorama show at the Civic Center(now called the XL center) in Hartford CT. I did have the car roped in..he simply stretched everything so that he could get at the door...IDIOTS...You gotta watch out for them...

Claude
1024
Brick

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> What scares me the most is the kids coming up to the car with dripping ice cream cones and leaning into the car! A Delorean is one of the few cars displayed with the doors open. Some take that as an invitation to enter. I have seen owners use cargo nets over the door opening. I use a plush Einstein on the driver's seat and stay by the car while the doors are open. I also use a battery master switch so nothing will operate. I also put anything loose like the ciagrette lighter, radar detector, garage door opener, etc, in the vault. There was on one occasion a gearshift knob stolen out of a Delorean at an event. I guess someone wanted a souvenir? The fact is some people have no respect for other's personal property so you just have to be careful. At least I have no problem with fingerprints! A little Windex and the are gone! It is the rings and rivets in the pants you have to watch for!
> David Teitelbaum
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "d_rex_2002" <rich@> wrote:
> >
> > Rich and List,
> >
> > Almost every DeLorean owner has to struggle with either
> > displaying with the doors open or closed, hoping to keep
> > unwanted people out of their DeLorean.
> >
> > I have heard of and observed the "switch break" scenerio
> > several times over the years, and although I have not had
> > it happen to me, I have helped others with the repairs.
> >
> > The display option I have been using for a long time is to
> > only have the passenger door open, since there is less to
> > break when someone gets into the passenger side seat.
> >
> > Of course, you still need to watch out for the people who
> > lean or grab onto the top corner of the windshield, to
> > try to get in or out, but at least most switches are safe.
> >
> > I usually put a gray or black duffle bag on the driver seat
> > (filled with towels I use to clean or prep the car) and I
> > have not had anyone try to move or sit down on the bag.
> >
> > Keep displaying the car, but try to keep it safe as well.
> >
> > Later,
> > Rich W.
> >
> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard" <racuti1@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Pfft...it'll never happen.
> > >
> > > First, I have no idea where in my neighborhood, these people live. I never see them out and about.
> > >
> > > Second, they were obviously broke. It's not worth my energy to try and get blood from a stone.
> > >
> > > Lastly, it had been weeks in between when the kid jumped into my car, and when I tried to flip on the high beams. (I had no reason to use them in the intervening time) So no judge is going to rule on my side when I can't tie his activity to the failure of the switch.
> > >
> > > I will take this as an expensive, aggravating lesson and just string bungie nets across the doors or keep the car locked down. Or electrically charge the body panels. Or just stop showing it altogether. Whatever.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)