[DML] Re: Steering column vibration when braking

[DML] Re: Steering column vibration when braking

Hi Dave,

Of all the items you list below, the only things I haven't done are measure the runout (the discs are new, but I hear that the runout can be off, even when new), and the steering rack.

All the other stuff has been done, and recently.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> While it is true that any play in the front suspension will cause shaking during braking the "cause" is a vibration in the braking system that gets "amplified" through resonance. Bleeding will not make much if any difference but it can't hurt. The less play (looseness) the better. Measure the rotors for radial run-out and do a light cut to true them up if necessary. Check the sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, and ball joints for excessive play. Lubricate the front end too. If the frame is rotten in the front it can also allow things to move and vibrate. If the steering rack is worn out it should be replaced or rebuilt.
> David Teitelbaum
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard" <racuti1@> wrote:
> >
> > An update to this problem:
> >
> > Replacing the steering column bushing dampened, but did not eliminate the steering column vibration during braking.
> >
> > While replacing the bushing, I observed that the steering column U-joints are in great shape, with no slop or play. The steering rack on the other hand, has too much play.
> >
> > I suspect the problem is a combination of needing to re-bleed the brakes so that the calipers grab each rotor equally, and replace the steering rack. I think that there may be unequal pressure in the lines.
> >
> > I have a spare rack that I bought years ago as an intended replacement. I need to unwrap it and re-inspect it. If it's tight and in good condition, I'll install it. If not, I'll buy a new one. Then we'll see what's what.
> >
> > Rich A.
> >
> [moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional