Re: [DML] Re: Oil Changes

David:

I luv ya... But let me introduce some of my points of view...

With the DeLorean, to see or to inspect the under carriage completely
and clearly it needs to be on a lift with ample lights.  To me an oil
change is just oil change unless I am complimenting it with a tune up
or other work on the DeLorean, then I may be going over the DeLorean
with a fine toothcomb. If I change oil twice a year, I am not sure if
it would constitute as "regular inspection?"  When I am doing an oil
change, I would be just looking onto the right rear end of the car
and the filter's motor area and that is all that is visually
available.  With my lowered DeLorean and unless I am on a crawler and
the DeLorean is on four point jacked, I would not be able to go
completely around underneath the DeLorean.  So, inspection is out of
the question for me and I leave inspections to Rob at PJ Grady.

As far as someone to "reach under and let the oil out?"  That is my
least of the vandalism act that I would worry about.  What I would
worry about is someone keying the car, doing scratchitti or acid
graffiti of the glass areas or doing some other destructive act.
Many times I would park on the streets in NYC and my DeLorean have
never been bother -- Only with fingerprints!!!  I get more people
"bothering" my old Bentley as in trying to rip off my mascot the "Fly
B" on the grill when it is parked on the street or even housed in the
commercial garage.

Hey, no one knew that I have a "quick valve" before posting!  Now
that everyone who has read this do know that I have the "quick
valve."  Will they make the attempted to release the oil?  By the
way, anyone thinking in doing this, you need a jack as to bring up
the clearance to get under the rear fender and chassis in order to
slide under to be able to reach the valve. My DeLorean is lowered all
around which minimized the clearance and it is my only safeguard in
preventing someone in "reaching out".... If they do release the oil
by vandalism, all I need to do is to closed up the valve and fill the
motor with oil...  For your info, I don't need a jack to do an oil
change, ask me and I will tell you how, for I will not post it
publicly....

As my experience with breakdowns with the DeLorean?  With the
DeLorean when anything break downs, it breaks down with little
warning or indication.  So, in the anticipation of failure in parts
of "age fatigue" and or "high wear in or usage" failure, I had many
parts on my DeLorean removed and replaced with NOS or presently
engineered manufactured parts.  What I feel that needs to be
inspected "regularly" is the chassis for it will slowly or quickly
rust itself away under the epoxy especially if one drives the
DeLorean daily in the rain and snow -- And I do drive in ALL
weather.  Rob has done the annual inspections or when I am at his
premises for "work to be done."  He also replaces what needs
replacement for he knows the failing characteristics or faults of the
DeLorean and its components.  I don't think twice in giving him the
clearance to do the repairs or the "questionable" parts to be
replaced.  Towing in NYC is expensive for is it $60 for the hook up
and $6 a mile, plus tax.  From where I live to Rob, it is 60 plus
miles and I've been to Rob on flatbed or hooked towed four times on
emergencies, which includes the middle of the night.  So, do the
towing math...

Hey David, you have a working equipped facility and you are
knowledgeable???  The DeLorean is getting old and I am too to work on
it.   You want work on my DeLorean when Rob is too busy to take my
car in???  I will pay you!!!   :-)

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

On Oct 25, 2010, at 10:53 PM, jtrealtywebspannet wrote:

> Jacking the car up and going underneath it to change the oil is the
> perfect oppertunity to inspect the C/V boots, the TAB's, the front
> suspension (and lube it) check for exhaust leaks, fluid leaks, etc.
> The underside of the car is a very neglected area because it is so
> hard to see anything unless the car is raised up. Regular
> inspection avoids the possibility of getting stuck with the car if
> you find and fix a problem early. It is a whole lot more than let
> the oil out and them fill it back up! I don't like the quick-valve
> thing much, anyone, even without a tool, can reach under and let
> your oil out.
> David Teitelbaum
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dmc6960" <dmc6960@...> wrote:
> >
> > To stop the splatter of oil, just use a cardboard paper towel
> tube. Cut it lengthwise, open it up and wedge it between the frame
> and oilpan. It will hold itself in there, and then channel the oil
> down to your drain pan. After my first oil change, I came up with
> this solution and have been doing it for over 10 years.
> >
> > Jim Reeve
> > DMC6960

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional