[DML] Gold Delorean

We talked about it a few days ago. A friend was in touch with the company that
plated the original parts back then, the company is located in Schwäbisch Gmünd,
that's near Stuttgart (where Porsche and Mercedes come from).

They said to plate a car today approximately 50kEuros are needed.
I don't know if this is just the panels or if bolts and exhaust are included,
but that's not the problem.
The Gold-Price is also not the problem, it's just a few gramms that are needed.

What he said what's expensive is the way they plate it and to make it durable.
They still have the patent for this (I was told).

Why do you think they gave one car to the Peterson Museum in LA ?
Tax savings ! Probably it was easier to get rid of the car and get money
for it (85k$ ?) for the donation then trying to sell it. ( I don't understand
our tax system, so I am far away from understanding the american)

Elvis & 6548

All,

Was just having a friendly conversation with a friend of mine that got
me thinking. Does anybody know approximately how many ounces of gold
were used to plate each gold Delorean that was produced? He seems to
think that if you were to attempt plating a car like that today (with
current gold prices) it would be close to a million. I'd like to
settle the debate by knowing how much actual gold was used, and what
that would amount to in today's dollars.

Thanks,

Jack

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional