Re: [DML] Re: Overheating from Coolant Leak

Re: [DML] Re: Overheating from Coolant Leak

DeLoreans don't like to be overheated.  Once the coolant level drops
significantly, the temp guage is not reliable.  Also, once you shut the engine
off, it goes into a heat soak until it can air cool, which means the
temperatures can actually rise for a little while before they start to drop.
This is even worse when you don't have any coolant in the water jackets around
the piston liners and in the head to take up some of the heat.  Even though the
water is not circulating, it helps get heat to the outside of the engine block
and keep peak temperatures lower.  My guess is that you probably have at least
one blown head gasket and potentially warped heads.  Get the leak fixed and have
a compression test, a coolant check and an oil change.  There is a test that
looks for combustion byproducts in the coolant that will tell you if gasses are
escaping into the coolant.  Checking the oil will tell you if there is coolant
letting into the sump.

 --
Mike