[DML] Re: 1970 DeLorean ..... Tapiro

Like many designers who have their certain styles, many of the automotive designs that they pen will have very strikingly similar appearances (i.e. Bob Lutz' PT Cruiser vs. HHR). I've seen this car before, and the two lines that this car shares with the DeLorean that make it pop out are the sloping angles of the gullwings below the Belt Line, and the tilted angle of the rocker panel. Other than that, the with the roof line, the angles and design of the front and rear panels, the specific flare of the fenders, and especially those hinged engine covers, one could argue that the Tapiro has more in common with the DeTomaso Mangusta than the DMC-12, or even the Maserati Boomerang.

By the same token too, many more cars AFTER the DeLorean took more styling cues from it, than the DMC-12 took from other cars. Lots of prototypes started using larger wheels in the back with deep dish faces, Lamborghini built a prototype mini van that those same wheels with hinged doors that had tollbooth windows (if you REALLY want to see an alternate "what if?"), the list goes on... And if you notice in the 1980's themselves, after the DMC-12 you saw the switch from round to square quad headlights, the compact from clip became more prevalent on many imports, and even GM started using tail lights that had square cell patterns on them. Sometimes an idea looks good, and others encourage their designers, or even the designers themselves who created the original looks will revive them for others to keep them going if they're popular enough.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "nk1165" <nkemp@...> wrote:

> While thumbing through a book on cars, I came across the Tapiro.  It was designed by Giugiaro in 1970. I think it was his 4th design/prototype and only one was made.  It later burned.
>
> It is often referred to as a Porsche Tapiro and was built on the 914 platform.  It has 4 gullwing doors, two for passengers and 2 for the rear engine compartment
>
> It has amazing similar lines to the DeLorean.  I suspect that as he put together proposals for his future work for DeLorean, that it was one of the designs featured.
>
> It does provide some perspective of what alternate DeLorean designs could have looked like.
>
> Check out lotusespritturbo.com/Porsche_Tapiro.htm or google "Tapiro" with alternate words such as "Ital", "porsche" or Giugiaro.
>
> I googled and did not see any references in the DMCnews.  There was one quick refernce in the DMCtalk.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)