[DML] Greenwich Concours d'Elegance

Hello everyone,

I entered my Delorean (#1619) in the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance
this weekend (Greenwich is in Connecticut).  It was really a great
event.  Even though all weather reports had a very good chance of rain
and thunderstorms on both days, the skies remained dry the entire
time.  The first raindrops are starting to fall right now, as the
event has just would down and most cars had left.

The Greenwich Concours is a two day event -- American marquees are on
Saturday, and foreign marquess are on Sunday.  Of course, as we all
know, the Delorean was a toss-up!  My invitation requested that I show
up on Saturday morning, but when I arrived, they told me I was
supposed to be there on Sunday.  Nonetheless, they allowed me to show
my car on Saturday, and invited me back for Sunday, if I wanted to
(which I did).   Only one other car was allowed to show both days, and
that was a very cool Fitch Phoenix (built in a Corvair chassis see:
http://www.corvaircorsa.com/fitch2.html ).   John Fitch was actually
on hand on Saturday, too.

Sunday was an interesting day, since on the same grounds were an
original Mercedes 300SL Gullwing, the new Mercedes SLS AMG Gullwing,
and a Delorean. The only gullwing missing was a Bricklin.   Although
there was one other very interesting Gullwing on display, and that was
a Russian Tupolev 007 (see:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/tupolev-007/#3047708 ).  While I was
admiring this awesome machine, I witnessed a "rich dude" negotiate to
buy it on the spot from the owner.    I basically heard him say "I
can't do $150k, but give you $100k today, on the spot".  I went back
to the owners at the end of the day and asked if they had actually
sold it, and they indicated they had, so I guess it was settled
somewhere between those two numbers.  This was in fact the second
Tupolev they had acquired and sold.

No such luck with the Delorean, although I had one guy ask to trade it
for his 1988 BMW 325 convertible.

I tried to get a photo of the Delorean next to the Mercedes SLS AMG,
but the guy at the Mercedes booth was being a real obnoxious prick and
wouldn't allow me to do it.  On the other hand, the cute girl in the
Mercedes booth ran out to take a photo of the Delorean.

Bonhams runs an auction during this show, and to my surprise, there
was a Delorean on the auction block - vin 15315.  The estimated price
was $25k-$35k.  It was a twin-turbo in what I'd say is "average"
condition.   I do now know how much it sold for, but that info should
be on bonhams.com in a few days.

I met one other Delorean owner, "Dan the Magician" who I think I
convinced to join the DMA group.. he's had his car for 5 years.  At
one point he was helping me with the answers about the car when alot
of people were looking and asking all the typical questions.   He said
he can't make it to DCS since he has a gig that weekend.  Hopefully
we'll hear more from him soon.

Since one can only enter the same car in the show once every three
years, I won't be able to show up again until 2013, but if any other
Delorean owner wants to be in the show next year, it really is alot of
fun... and while there are dozens and dozens of extremely rare and
extremely valuable automobiles in the show, EVERYONE instantly
recognizes the Delorean and comes over to see it.  And while
"Concours" is the name of the show, it's nothing like the Delorean
Concours --  There were plenty of daily driver  cars in the show --
people still just love seeing cars up close they don't get to see
everyday.

-Hank

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional