[DML] Re: Using unmatched tires...

You are probably best off talking to one of the Delorean venders. They are much more aware of what is available and what works best. They have the advantage of buying more sets of tires then the average owner. You don't have to buy through them and they don't expect you to especially if your car is not in their shop being serviced. You are correct in being cautious with tires over 7 years old but I wouldn't worry about them blowing up immediatly. Of course, if you are planning a long trip, like going to DCS, you should be getting tires you can trust. In the meantime check them often and check the tire pressures. If you start losing air or getting vibrations that can be early signs of impending failure.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Griese <mike.griese@...> wrote:

> Hank - how far off are the sizes front to rear of the Generals or the Goodrich's?  The main issue with different tread patterns and tire constructions front to rear is differences in handling at the limit - which is where you wind up Really Fast when you need to take evasive action or panic stop.  Another potential issue is when driving in the wet.  Cornering and braking will be different in the mismatched case and less predictable than matched construction tires.   Under normal dry road driving conditions you are right - you will not notice much difference.
>
> I think you would be better off going with a matched set front to rear
> that are slightly narrower or wider than stock sizes.  You can go up to
> 10mm in either direction and not have a problem with the rims or
> rubbing in the wheel well.  Also, you will have more predictable handling with the same tire construction and tread pattern.  There are a couple of  cases to consider:
>
> Normal front tires with narrower rear tires - slightly more oversteer as the rear tires have less grip than stock size.
>
> Normal front tires with wider rear tires - slightly more understeer, as the rear tires now have more grip than stock size.
>
> Normal rear tires with narrower front tires - slightly more understeer as the front tires have less grip than stock size.
>
> Normal rear tires with wider front tires - slightly more oversteer as the front tires have more grip than stock size.
>
> In general, understeer is the preferred direction to go for the average driver as an understeering car is easier for most people to control in emergency situations.  The width of the tire won't impact ride much but can be noticeable in terms of steering effort and tramlining (following imperfections in the road).
>
> If you wind up going the opposite direction at both ends (one end 10mm narrower, the other 10mm wider), the oversteer or understeer will become more noticeable, particularly on wet pavement.
>
> You can also go up or down in aspect ratio one step.  This has more impact on your speedometer accuracy and acceleration than normal handling.  A taller tire will have more sidewall flex which can lead to loss of grip sooner in quick turns, but you will feel the tire "give up" more progressively at the limit.  It will also ride better.  A shorter tire will have more grip but "give up" with less notice at the limit and ride harsher.  Going up in both aspect ratio and width in the front may lead to interference with the antiroll bar at full steering lock.  Going up in aspect ratio and width at the rear may lead to rubbing of the outside of the tire on the rear fender at full compression of the rear suspension.
>
>  Mike

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: