[DML] Using unmatched tires...

Ok, my Yokahama AVS Intermediates are way past their useful life and
are starting to show signs of cracking and/or dry-rotting on the
fronts (I bought them in 2001 or 2002).  So clearly I do not want to
drive on them any more then absolutely necessary.

It looks like I can still get a "matching" set of Cooper Cobra GTs
(Performance All-Season) from https://www.tiresavings.com for about
$350, but I'm not sure I like them all that much.

So I'm thinking of mixing-and-matching front and rear tires.  Is it
*that* bad to do, and if so, why?    Or is it really more of a
purist/theory thing that everyone just believes must be done because
everyone else does?

I mean, if I have mis-matched tires on the front versus the rear, is
it really going to make that much (or any) difference in handling,
safety, wear, etc?  And when I say "handling," I mean handling that I
can actually notice.   Keep in mind I'm not a race driver pushing
these tires to their limits, and they just for occasional daily
driving in a Delorean.

For example, I'm thinking of the General Altimax HP (Grand Touring
All-Season) for the fronts, and BF Goodrich Radial T/A (Performance
All-Season) for the rears.   I'm looking for ride comfort over
performance these days, but I can't find  "Grand Touring All-Season"
tires in the rear size.

Comments?

-Hank

<*> Your email settings: