RE: [DML] fresh air hole under windshield cowl -- is it just a hole?

RE: [DML] fresh air hole under windshield cowl -- is it just a hole?

Hi Farrar,

You mention the wide open cowl intake (under the plastic screen) but that is
the original design. It does allow debris to clog the drain but it can be
cleaned out by removing the fuel pump inspection cover to access the drain
opening. (This drains water directly onto the fuel pump which explains the
necessity of confirming that the cover is soft, pliable, and has a clamped
water tight seal but I digress) The other issue is that in either a heavy
rain or when spraying water at it from the driver side of the car water is
liable to breach the ledge and wind up in the car.  Your problem probably
lies elsewhere however.

Your leak is more likely however to be coming from the door stationary glass
(most common) the roof / windshield (but you'd probably notice wet
headliners or a visible drip) or a leaking seam at the door latch mounting
bracket areas. Another possibility (which I hate to mention) is it could be
coming from a seam BEHIND the heater/evaporator box but this is fortunately
rare.

I'd suggest you start by removing the upper door trim panel (it pulls off
without tools and is held in place by plastic "fur trees") and have a
spotter inside the car while you spray the edges of the door glass with a
hose. You can often see water stains at the bottom of the glass (inside the
door) marking the waters previous path into the door with white/brown
corrosion. Then leak test the other areas by spraying the roof doors and
windshield and pulling back the carpets as necessary to spot any leaks.
Urethane is the sealant of choice especially for glass retention. Good
luck.you're going to need some! Water leaks can be very tricky indeed!

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

  _____