[DML] Re: manual transmission oil change

[DML] Re: manual transmission oil change

If you are going with a Redline product use the one caled MT-90. That's what is used in the Lotus. What is "recommended" by Lotus is a Castrol product that is very hard to get in the US. As for what you can use, any good national brand 85-90W GL-5 Hypoid Gear Oil will probably be fine. The Workshop Manual A:05:01 says mil spec L2105C or API GL-5. Above -10c SAE 80. So if it's realy cold you have to go down to 75W. For almost everyone 85-90W will be just fine. You don't have to go synthetic, there will be no real benefit. The main thing is to have enough, and not too much.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "stephen" <steve10000@...> wrote:

> The PO of my car told me that he changed the manual transmission oil to "Redline 65". Well, its time to change transmission oil, and I am wondering a few things. First, I can't actually find this oil that he said he used. I have looked over the Redline site, and they make some interesting points about manual transmission oil that is "too slippery" being bad since the synchros won't work so well, etc. I note on my car that in cold weather I indeed have that occasional problem. I am contemplating going to more or less the recommended fluid, or maybe a synthetic like Valvoline 85W90.
>
> So, 2 questions:1) any other recommendations on manual transmission oil? 2) Regardless, when I change from one formulation to another, do I simply drain and add, or do I need to drain, add, drain again and add, to flush-out the other fluid?
>
> steve liggett

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: