Re: [DML] Odometer removal legality

The general rule of thumb when selling a car is to be honest - do not misrepresent anything.  Tell the potential buyer what you did, when you did it, what the mileage was at the time, what you think it is at the time of the sale, and put it all in writing so here is no doubt about what you said.

As far as what you can do with odometers, this varies from state to state.  You really need to contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles about what is legal where you live.  For instance, here in Minnesota, the DMV now does not even carry the mileage record on titles of cars older than a certain age (I think it is 20 years).  When I transferred a title from California to Minnesota for an '87 car two years ago, the mileage didn't matter and did not show up on the new MN title, so the state of the odometer is no longer relevant.  This has all kinds of implications for outfits like Carfax.

--
Mike

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Michael Conrad wrote:
>

> > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about odometer legal issues
> > for classic cars.
> >
> > I popped an angle drive a few weeks ago (probably the result of taking the
> > car out of a warm garage and then leaving it in a below-freezing parking
> > lot for a few hours, and having frozen moisture in things).
> >
> > The car is already over 100K mi (so the reading is no longer a literal
> > count anyway), and I've been meaning to make my own electronic instrument
> > panel for quite a while, and figured this might be a great opportunity.
> > What I plan to do is measure revolution counts of the rear axle with an
> > electronic sensor, and use that for an electronic spedometer and odometer
> > and fuel economy calculations.
> >
> > I am planning to put in my own instrument panel, and I want to preserve
> > the old one in case I ever want to reverse this. However, the odometer is
> > built in.
> >
> > Does anyone know^H^H^H^H have vague non-legally-liable hints about the
> > legality of simply removing the odometer from the car? I knows its
> > illegal to falsify the mileage reading, but what if you simply don't make
> > a mileage claim? Since the car is over 107K, I don't think it'd affect
> > the value of the car much, and I don't ever plan to sell it anyway.
> >
> > Thoughts? Insights? War stories?
> >
> > -Mike C

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional