[DML] Re: Installation of overdrive trans or adapter kit for the DeLorea

[DML] Re: Installation of overdrive trans or adapter kit for the DeLorean

Thanks for some good info.  Great point on what the DeLorean is designed to handle as far as fuel.  The fuel system could VERY likely be quite different than all the other cars that have been running w the very small 1-3 oz per 10 gal for often decades with no problems.  I have searched for hours and hours to find others that suffered damage before trying it my C5 Vette.  The only evidence I could ever find was when people added MORE than 3 oz per 10 gal.  You are not supposed to do that.  It tricks your computer into thinking it should lean out your F to A mix too much.  You DO have to learn from good sources to do it properly.  My 24 years experience as an F-4E, F-117A Stealth, F-16 Crewchief helped a very minimal amount.  So, I really reached out to alot of others.  Regarding "minor amount of possible benifit" It is true, your actual mpg gain is different on every car.  Although, I am very happy since 2004 with my 16 to 21mpg combo and 21 to 32 mpg/highway.  And no... I have not ever had one fuel sys or eng problem.  Regarding using fuel sys cleaners on a continious basis.  I was very concerned that of the MANY chemicals in products like B-12, Acetone might be the chemical they were referencing on the warning which I certianly read also.  But, because of the vast amount of experiences I found that did not support that, I admittedly... "took the chance".  And I  have cared for my Vettes like they are practically my children.  (you know Vette guys... we're nuts about our cars.  But, that doesn't mean I can't be nuts about Deloreans too.  And JZD was a great man.)  You are right about the ignition system upgrades resulting in minor improvements.  But, I look at it as eliminating needless waste, saving money on gas, and its a better running vehicle because you are actually burning fuel which was previously wasted in the exhaust system.  But, not everybody cares about that.  Regarding Transmission mod's; Yeah I expected there wouldn't be much of a choice.  But if there is 1 or 2 options... I need to know about them.  And no, I don't want to change the stall speed or final drive ratio in the stock trans.  Last, for the record I believe I communicated you couldn't use "Acetone" with a "diesel".  I was thinking "Hydrogen"... You CAN use it w a deisel.  However, check out what United Nuclear has been doing with running regular production cars on Hydrogen.  Notice, you don't have to go to a service station to "fill up"  EVER.  You plug your car into a servicing unit over-night in your garage.  Pretty cool.  Imagine a Delorean that can still run.... on gas with the flip of a switch but doesn't ever have to again.

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  Looking forward to future conversations.  Keep your Flux Capacitor fluxing.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> For the minor amount of possible benefit you can gain from mixing up your own fuel and the huge possabilities of damaging your fuel system and motor it doesn't make sense trying to create your own blend. As for modifying the ignition system, again, minor gains to be had over a well functioning stock system. As for swapping transmissions, the choices are very limited, even more so if you want automatic. Modifying the existing transmission is not an option, very few off-the-shelf choices of internals. There are *some* things you can do like changing the stall speed of the torque convertor and changing the final drive ratio but in the end you will not be gaining much but spending a lot of money trying. All fuel cleaners say on them not for continuous use. When you start experimenting any damage you cause will be at your expense. The materiels in the Delorean's fuel system were not designed for high levels of additives and there are already plenty of them in today's fuel!
> David Teitelbaum
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "christiankuest" <christiankuest@> wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody have info/experience with mod.ing the existing auto trans or installing a completely different trans with overdrive in the DeLorean?
> >
> > Also, answer to a posting regarding getting past 85 to 88mph. The tips below will also just make the car run a whole lot better with and increase in MPG.
> > -- We know not nearly all of the fuel sent to the combustion chambers is burned in a DeLorean or any other car of that approx. age.  The fuel is already in the chamber, you might as well burn it.  Here are a few options:
> >
> [moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: