[DML] Re: DMC and Trademarks

Since it seems only 2 people have problems with this they should probably continue it off-list directly with James. This topic has no direct impact on anyone on the DML. It just seems like a way to irritate DMCH. IMHO they don't deserve to be treated that way. If anyone is entitled to use the trademarks and make money on it, they should. A healthy, profitable DMCH can only be good for the owners of Deloreans.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike" <msubstel@...> wrote:

> Based on our policies, I find this to be a perfectly acceptable topic for the DML.  Nevertheless, it is not rational to expect anyone to discuss their legal interests in a public forum.  The subject is not officially closed, but I do not expect any more replies from DMC.
>
> - Mike Substelny
>   DML moderator of the week
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for giving me something to do on a Sunday evening where some sporting event has made it pointless to watch TV.  :)
> >
> > Response below; (Hit DELETE now if you don't care..  I don't want a bunch of people whining that this discussion is wasting their time).
> >
> > Otherwise, grab something cold to drink, scroll down, and read on!!
> >
> > --- On Fri, 2/5/10, james <james@> wrote:
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > > Let's look at it from another perspective...what does
> > > Diamond Select do with
> > > the profits from the sale of this BTTF car? Re-invest it in
> > > the DeLorean
> > > community? Of course not! When DMC (Texas) is able to
> > > license the logo for
> > > use on a product like this (i.e. Hot Wheels, Sunstar, The
> > > Hundreds, video
> > > games) that money goes right back into the DeLorean
> > > community in the form of
> > > reproduced parts and better availability of the same. Which
> > > would you rather
> > > have - a toy car with the logo on it, or a part that might
> > > otherwise go
> > > unavailable for lack of funds?
> >
> > Are you saying that DMC (Texas) is registered as a 501c3 organization?
> >
> > It is in DMCH best interest to keep these cars running, and maintain (or increase) their value. It is not a charitable endeavor.
> >
> > While I agree, the company you work for has made investments in to new/reproduction parts, I am sure you and your associates spend a great deal of time reviewing the budget of each project and before making an investment have a high confidence that it will be profitable for the company.  DMCH is a company that is motivated by profit, which is a GOOD thing, but please don't paint the company as anything else.  Good business practice dictates that each project is evaluated on it's own merit, so I have my doubts that someone at DMCH would say "Sure, we will lose money on reproducing part XYZ, but we can just subsidize that with the money from Sunstar".   If that was the case, the Sunstar money could have been used to produce the headlight switches instead of asking the community to pre-purchase them, right?  :)
> >
> > > In regards to the DMC logo trademarks and our ownership of
> > > them...we've
> > > spent tens of thousands of dollars on IP over the past
> > > ten-plus years and
> > > are very confident of our position. As part of the purchase
> >
> > ...  Due to the lack of anyone willing/able to dispute it.
> >
> > > of the remaining
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: