From: Pete Cowan <petecowan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, December 10, 2009 10:53:03 PM
Subject: [DML] What's a "poor condition" car worth?

After 12 years of ownership, I thinking I'm ready to get rid of my DeLorean.
I the past several years I've been sinking money into other cars and the DMC
has sadly become a bit neglected.  I don't have the time nor money to
execute the projects with it that I'd like so I figure I'll let it go to
someone else and when I'm ready I'll pick up another one I'll start shopping
again.

My big question is: how much is a Delorean worth if it's in poor condition?
You always see people selling the ones that are pristine and completely
restored but rarely one that needs restoration.

'83 #16059, ~70k miles, 5-speed, grey.

Here's what's wrong (that I know of):

-Leaking coolant - likely failing head gasket

-Difficult to shift into 2nd gear

-Cracked binnacle

-Worn seats

-A/C is defunct

-Brakes need to be rebuilt

-Doors droop

-Bonnet pistons are at this point, only cosmetic

-Louver pistons are missing, latch assembly missing

-No radio

-etc... the car is just worn out

Essentially the car starts and drives and that's about it.  It's recently
has the fuel pump assembly replaced, no frame rust and the body/panels are
fine.  I'm thinking $FixingCost + $SellingPrice = ~$20,000, so if it cost
$12k to make it road worthy and reliable then ~$8k.  Is $8000 appropriate
for a marginally function DMC?  Too much?  Too little?

Thanks,

--pete

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional