Re: [DML] Re: Big Brakes - cost

Thanks for all constructive comments. For what it's worth, I did not put
this system together just to sell it, I put it together because I needed
it as part of a couple of performance projects, but that is not to say a
massive improvement wouldn't be noticeable on a stock DeLorean.

You say you're happy with your car's brakes, but are they as good as
your regular everyday car? Do you ever drive your car hard enough to
find the limit? Without special pads, you discover that limit very
quickly - over here we're much more prone to enthusiastic country-lane
A-to-B point and squirt, then brake for a corner and repeat. I used to
regularly get fade and see smoke coming from the front of my old car on
a particular road I used to drive regularly. At that point I hadn't
discovered high temperature pads though.

By an order of magnitude, the most common job I have done on DeLoreans
since workong on them for a living has been replacing the brake system.
Having the calipers professionally rebuilt, replacing flexi-hoses for
stainless braided and a new master cylinder. I go further to recommend
high temperature pads too. With that setup, the DeLorean's brakes are
really quite respectable. But it's still an old system in a fairly heavy
car  working with small solid discs.

I've heard the comment several times "I can lock up the brakes, so they
must be good enough". The problem is one of "feel" where the driver
can't sense that limit of traction.

My new system increases disc diameter, pad size and piston area (all of
which reduce braking effort and improve feel), and obvoiusly much of the
point of the upgrade is to include vented discs to allow cooling -
ubiquitous on all modern cars. (In fact the only car I know of that
doesn't have vented discs is my other half's Smart Roadster, and vented
is a popular aftermarket upgrade!). The added weight of the larger discs
is countered by the much reduced weight of the calipers too.

As an aside, the new handbrake mechanism is vastly superior to the
original DeLorean setup - although I reckon most DeLoreans in North
America don't have working handbrakes anyway ;-)

Best Wishes

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

stainlessilusion wrote:
> $3,200 dollars for a complete brake kit seems a little steep - for a bit more I can get a performance engine.... What is the benefit of your new kit? How does it compare to the old calipers? I have stock calipers and John's rotors and personally I can't be happier. Basically I'm trying to find out why I should spend $3200 dollars for brakes when my car stops fine now. Nothing against new parts, but a new performance engine I can see upgrading to; new brakes I'd need to know more figures on how it's an upgrade. It appears to be a very impressive kit, how is the installation? -----Dani B. #5003

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)