Re: [DML] Auto Transmission Seal controllers

Re: [DML] Auto Transmission Seal controllers

Thanks for sharing the details Jeff!  Sounds like some nice improvements..  Many of which I considered when I day-dreamed about an improved control unit.  I am glad you did not do a complete re-design with a microcontroller like some have suggested (WAY too complex for this application!!)

One thing I did consider when looking for alternatives for the 2 large switching transistors was the impact some other components would have on the solenoids in the transmission..

"order of magnitude lower than that of the power transistors" has me a bit concerned.  You say it like it is a good thing, but I am not convinced it is.

Is it possible the original engineers intended to have that additional resistance in (voltage drop across) the transistors?  In my "what if" design (in my head), I decided it was not worth the risk to change the conditions of the switching circuit for the solenoids as I could not predict the long term impact it would have on the physical internals of the transmission, mostly the solenoids themselves.  The added resistance in the circuit due to the transistors may be needed to restrict how much DC current those solenoids can pull.

Are you trading off heat in the controller box for additional current (and therefore heat) at the solenoids?  I'd rather change the transistor (something I have never needed to do) in the control box than one of those solenoids!