[DML] Re: Intermittent revving, Vacuum leaks, etc

[DML] Re: Intermittent revving, Vacuum leaks, etc

> First of all about the last remark: oil and fuel have different smells.
> So, if you smell fuel, it's not oil. It could be that covers of the fuel
> tank isn't quite sealing so take a look at the fuel pump cover and the
> fuel sender and see if there are traces of spilled fuel there.

Maybe I should say "a petroleum smell".  The oil smell is pretty strong,
so its hard to tell.  Once I get the engine washed off it should be easier
to sniff around and see if there's a fuel leak.  But I know it's small- I
only notice it after a dozen hours of being closed up in the garage - so I
suspect it's just leaking vapors.

> Next: you have an automatic (I determine that from your below info).
> Automatics should be left in Drive even at stop signs while idling.
> That's what an automatic is for.

No, it's a manual.

The reason I took it out of gear was because I was slowing down for a
stop, and when it's in "misbehaving mode" and my foot is off the gas for a
few seconds, the car lurches as it tries to rev.  This is really
annoying.  So I just take it out of gear.

> (I have not looked at your previous messages about the subject).

It basically just said "I have a revving problem", "I've replaced my CPR",
"it does it both when hot and when cold, but more often cold", and "The
revving is intermittent and very hard to diagnose because every time I go
to show it to someone it starts behaving and looks fine".

Its like one of those Warner Brothers singing frogs. :-)

> Hopefully this is helpful to your investigation.

Thanks for the info.

-Mike

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional