Re: [DML] DOA - Just a few thoughts...

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kevin Abato" <delorean@...> wrote:

> Thank you Josh.  I look forward to hearing about your meeting with the board, and do ask that present this topic.
>
> Remind them that to attract (or keep) members, nothing should be secret in the clubs operations.   The club exists to SERVE the members.  No members...no club.
>
> If I were to invest in a business venture, Surely I would be granted access to review its operational logs, bank balances, etc.   The DOA should be no different.  If I have questions as a potential member, they should not be shrouded in secrecy, and I would be told to just "trust" them and Join anyway.
>
> Ken K.  Has openly discussed his numbers with me about DCS when I asked.
>
> Again Josh, you are doing a great job so far.  I wish you luck and hope you can help create a new organization that will be a benefit to all who join.
>
> Kevin Abato
> Vin# 16680
> www.grenexmedia.com

As President of the Dutch club, I wish Josh a lot of success in his attempts to reconstruct DOA into a fine organization.
I hope his back can carry the load of complaints I have seen passing here over time.

To Kevin,

People join an organization because the feel happy to be with kindred souls. No matter the size of the organization, they all expect the volunteers that have accepted a position in that organization - whether as board members or as assistants in varius ways - to make the members stay happy.

I do not have to explain the hours each of those officials invest in the well-being of club and members. Nevertheless the majority of the members accept that as very common. They also accept the events and tours for granted and only a small number will convey their gratitude and hardly value the time and trouble of other members.

Be aware that board members are also members and chosen by the other members to fulfil the tasks the majority of the members don't even want to think about. Yet it is like a proverb we have over here stating that the "best skippers are ashore".

Even in our very democratically organized country and clubs there are things the board don't mention to the members. Should all - sometimes vehement - discussions in boards be brought into the open? Or the why's and why not's?

Yes, the financial report is one that has to be open to all members and so are the minutes. However if the board and other officials need to explain the details on every decision or of each discussion to each member who wishes so, there will be no time lift for organizing activities and so on.
Democracy and being open end at some point.
That however doesn't mean a club that does not bring out all into the open is no democracy.

I have one advice for the critics: If you want to know what's going on, get yourself elected into the board! Then you will know it all and may begin to understand why not all is into the open.

Welmoed Jonker
President DeLorean Club Netherlands.

P.S.: I assume following the read down way will be valued. :)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)