[DML] Re: California Smog

Not necessarily. The catalytic convertor doesn't do much about NOX. Excessive NOX is affected most by timing and cylinder chamber pressures. I would check the vacuum and mechanical timing advance systems. Since your #'s are on the high side I would suggest a complete tune-up replacing at a minimum the ignition wires, spark plugs, and air filter. Check (and adjust if necessary) the timing and the valve clearances. Wouldn't hurt to also check the compression on each cylinder to make sure you aren't carboned up. How is your gas mileage? If it is low you might also need a tweak on the mixture screw and/or fix some vacuum leaks. As Dave S says, DMC SoCal is probably the best place to go.
David Teitelbaum

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daveswingle2" <swingle_dmc@...> wrote:

> DMC Cal is probably the best at this, but based on the numbers you're probably looking at a new catalytic converter.
>
> Dave S
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, aphawrldch@ wrote:
> >

> > Well...4066 just failed smog.  Sure could use some help as to where to go to fix this.  Not to go... What do I replace?
> >
> > %CO2
> >
> > Test 15 MPH  1496 RPM  meas 8.5/8.3
> >
> >         25 MPH  2451 RPM meas 9.0/7.6
> >

> > NO (PPM)
> >
> > 15 MPH Max 1148  Ave  434  Meas  854
> >
> > 25 MPH Max 978    Ave 357   Meas  1172.  FAIL!
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Would LOVE to just have to change plug wires, air filter, something semi simple.  I'm sure I'm just dreaming!  But sure am hopeful!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Linda

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional