RE: [DML] 1981 Delorean w 16K miles at Barrett-Jackson Vegas sells for $

RE: [DML] 1981 Delorean w 16K miles at Barrett-Jackson Vegas sells for $50K 10/9/09

I have been thinking about this topic of the Barrett Jackson car a bit over
the weekend and would like to add a couple of points (from my personal
perspective).

1.   Value:  As with anything collectable, you can state how much you THINK
it is worth to you, or to sell it, but in reality it is only worth what
someone is willing to (or is duped into) paying for it.  I once knew someone
with a $30k beanie baby collection.   However the reality is that they were
never able to find a buyer for the collection at that price, and settled for
a price of $13k at the end.
2.  The "Educated" and "uneducated buyer":    I would consider an "Educated"
buyer to be one who has spent time researching the item they will purchase
and is knowledgeable with the current average market value for that item in
a "Good" or "Very Good" condition.    An "Uneducated buyer" would be someone
who has not done research on values, or knows much about the item.
Apparently my Beanie Baby collecting friend was never able to find an
un-educated buyer for their collection.

I think the Barrett Jackson Auction was a case where the buyer (like many
people at those auctions) was there with a lot of money to spend.  $50k for
a car at a Barrett Jackson Auction is not a lot of money compared to some of
the other specialty cars that are sold.   I would very likely tend to
believe that the buyer was uneducated in the subject of Deloreans and their
current average value.  They likely rushed into the deal, and feel that they
got a good price.   Congrats to the seller...they did well!
It is not the first time this has occurred.  I have met people who have
overpaid for their Deloreans (IMHO) in both "Very good" and "Very Bad"
physical condition of the car.   In almost cases, they did not take the time
to research the average selling prices.   They could have gotten cars in
much better shape or for a better price if they had done some simple
research first.

All that said, I am both happy and sad to see this Barrett Jackson car sold
at that price.
Happy because it will raise the values of our cars (although...I bought mine
to DRIVE AND ENJOY...not as an investment).
Sad because I have met many other enthusiasts who have not yet purchased a
car and if prices do indeed climb that high, it will be difficult for them
to do so.   They will miss out on the awesome privilege of owning one of
these fantastic cars because they simply cannot afford a $50K car.

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680
www.grenexmedia.com