[DML] Re: Auto Trans slipping in drive

My guess - you're low on fluid. Did you measure the old fluid and replace with the same amount? What type of fluid??

Don't trust the dip stick! The original on one of my D's actually read nearly a quart too low when cold. A thermal temp gauge is a good aid to help know where the level should be on the dip stick. I figured mine out by measuring the expansion of the fluid up the dip stick (I did this in the "old days" with a mechanical gauge). Once I realized the dip stick was off about 3/4 of a quart - no problems.

That said however, I have also experienced a "neutral" condition upon shifting if the governor craps out. But, since it was apparently working fine before the change I'm betting on low fluid - the correct fluid - DEXRON II or compatible - like Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid DEXRON®-VI or, based on the age of our automatics Mercon V should work fine also.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dsontos" <dsontos@...> wrote:

> Just finished replacing some leaking seals in trans and engine, changed fluids in both when finished and now I noticed when I start out in Drive on a moderate acceleration the trans starts slipping until I let off the throttle a little and then it grabs again. I haven't checked the fluid pressure yet, I guess that's the next step. Or have I committed the ultimate sin and changed the transmission fluid.
>
> Dave Sontos

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: