[DML] Re: Clutch fluid

According to the manufacturers you can mix a higher DOT # with lower ones but you end up with the lower # fluid as far as boiling points is concerned. IMHO I would not EVER mix DOT 5 with anything. In fact if you wanted to convert to DOT 5 I recomend complete disassembly of ALL parts and a flush with alcohol and brushes before putting DOT 5 in. Same deal if you ever had DOT 5 in the system and you want to go back to DOT 4. A lot of antique cars tried DOT 5 silicone because it was not hygroscopic figuring the fluid would not rot the systems. Most discovered two big problems. One, DOT 5 contains tiny air bubbles that you cannot remove. They make it slightly compressable which increases pedal travel. On many older cars, especially with drum brakes, it means you have to pump the pedal to stop the car. The other problem is since water will not mix into the silicone, it builds up into globules and goes to the lowest points in the system. Bleeding will not get it out, the bleeders are at the high points. It lays in the low spots and rots the metal parts. Dot 4 Castrol GTLMA is fine for street driving. If you change it every 2 years you will never have a problem with corrosion or boiling. There are many things that are done to cars that go on a race track, putting silicone DOT 5 brkae fluid into them is one, mainly for the very high boiling point. Not everything in race cars can be used directly in street cars.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@...> wrote:

> PLEASE DON'T mix it !!!!
>
> DOT5 is silicone based brake fluid and ist NOT compatible
> with DOT3 or DOT4.
> DOT5 is more aggressive and may eat up the seals.
> DOT5 is less hygroscopic !!!
> DOT5 si not as aggressiv to paint as the others.
>
> DOT5.1 can be mixed with DOT4.
>
> The main difference between DOT 3, 4 and 5 is the boiling
> temperature.
>
> There is no real reason to change from DOT4 to something else.
> But if you really wanna swap it - you have to flush the system
> very well.
>
> Elvis & 6548
>

> > DOT5 is compatible with lower numbers of brake fluid.
> > It however is more hygroscopic and therefore mostly only used in sport
> > (racing) cars where fluids are very regularly changed.
> >
> > Welmoed.
> >

> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, robert parker <roberthparker@> wrote:
> > >

> > >   I put silicone brake fluid (Dot 5) in my clutch, also. No problems. It
> > came from Kanter Parts, & it says it is compatable with all brake fluids.
> >     Drive Stainless    Shift Smoothly   Robert VIN 6924
> > >
> --

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: