[DML] Re: Clutch fluid

Dot 5 silicone is NOT hygroscopic. In fact it is entirely the opposite, it CANNOT absorb moisture. Moisture will collect as globules and fall to the lowest parts of the system where it will rot the metal parts. Not recomended for Deloreans as it is slightly compressable and will reduce the pedal travel. Stay with Castrol GTLMA DOT 4 and change it every 2 years at least. BTW it does mix with the "old stuff" but there is no "chemical reaction". What ruins seals is when they move over corroded parts of the bore that they ride in and get torn up. Dot 5 is mainly intended for use in high temperature applications such as racing, not street driving.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "welmoedj" <welmoedj@...> wrote:

> DOT5 is compatible with lower numbers of brake fluid.
> It however is more hygroscopic and therefore mostly only used in sport (racing) cars where fluids are very regularly changed.
>
> Welmoed.
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, robert parker <roberthparker@> wrote:
> >

> >   I put silicone brake fluid (Dot 5) in my clutch, also. No problems. It came from Kanter Parts, & it says it is compatable with all brake fluids.      Drive Stainless    Shift Smoothly   Robert VIN 6924
> >
> > > To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > From: gekko@
> > > Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:54:41 +0000
> > > Subject: [DML] Clutch fluid
> > >
> > > O.K....so I'm being a little lazy; I could just grab the tech manual and look it up, but hey, I enjoy interacting with other owners so here goes:
> > > Does the clutch hydraulic system also use DOT 4 fluid (like the brake system)?  I assume they would not have chosen to use two different fluid ratings for those two systems, but I hate to assume anything so I'm asking.  I should drain/refill my clutch system (having never done it before) and want to be sure I'm on the right track.  The heat from the crossover pipe (something I long to rid the car of as soon as possible) must degrade the quality of that fluid, over the years/miles.
> > >
> > > Thanx for your help and continue to Drive Stainless!
> > >
> > > Craig Werner
> > > 07181

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional