Re: [DML] Aircon failure plus R134a capacity query

Re: [DML] Aircon failure plus R134a capacity query

Chris,

You might have already checked this...  If the high pressure hose is
not secured, it will rub against the steering shaft and eventually
rupture.  Be sure you don't have a hole in the high pressure hose in
the area of the steering shaft.

Bryan Pearce
Pearce Design Components, Inc.
(630) 293-0945
www.pearce-design.com

On Jun 29, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Chris Hawes wrote:

> Today of all days it had to happen.  It was hot, hot, hot.  I was
> driving
> the car hard with the aircon on full blast and then a loud air brake
> sound
> coming from the front left wheel.  I changed the evaporator core
> (behind the
> dash) with an OEM one around 5 years ago so I'll be surprised if it
> has
> failed again in the same place.
>

> At the time of the evaporator replacement I also did the pressure
> switch
> update (low?) that moved from the dryer down to the lower corner of
> the
> condenser.
>

> The car was converted to R134a at least five years ago.  My next
> step is to
> have the system pressure tested and leak identified (dye should still
> remain).
>

> Surely the condenser couldn't have failed being aluminium and
> protected by
> the radiator.  Any thoughts as to what may have failed?
>

> Crucially I need to know the correct capacity for R134a is it 950
> grams?
> Can anyone advise?
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Chris Hawes