Re: [DML] NEW IMPROVED DRIVER'S TORSION BARS

Re: [DML] NEW IMPROVED DRIVER'S TORSION BARS

Well, I for one think it's fantastic that someone's taken the time to
get these made. I'm no expert on some of the parts I've done, so I go to
places with the expertise to make them. Lawrence has done the same, and
while he could have got all the answers in advance, he's no doubt keen
to get these out on the market and start to get some return on his
investment, which on a product like this is undoubtedly considerable.
Being powdercoated is an improvement isn't it? The originals can be
really quite ugly when the spirals are visible, and they're also
unprotected when it comes to cleaning

People keep asking about the 20,000 test cycles reducing the life of the
bar. This is exceedingly unlikely. Springs are designed to work within
the yield stress of the material - within that limit it doesn't matter
how many times the material is stressed, it won't permanently deform or
be affected in any way. If you were to exceed the yield stress, you'd
know it immediately!

However, the reason the original bars deform is due to "creep" which is
a very slow deformation over a very long period of time when a material
is held under stress. The washers in your taps (fawcets) suffer the same
problem. I'd be interested to know the specs on creep for the new bars,
and I'm also interested in the details of the splines - more about the
bracket than the bar, although anything that makes removal of those
things when someone has used the wrong sized allen key is only a good
thing, if we can rely on it!

Are they steel or stainless steel?

All the best

Martin