[DML] Re: Idle Speed ECU

>From the Deloreans I have seen most do not actually seem to work as far as the fast idle is concerned. The idle seems to be consistant cold to hot at about the 775 RPM's. The idle seems to be more affected by the CPR and the vacuum advance. The thermistor does not seem to affect the idle ECU much if at all. I can't say if it ever worked as planned, I never saw a "new" Delorean. I have seen low (and high) mileage Deloreans and few (if any that I can see) actually had a high idle when cold. Well, maybe for a couple of seconds immediately after starting but I would attribute that to the cold start valve and the extra fuel.
 As for the idle increasing when the A/C is running, that's not how it works. When the motor is under increased load at idle, as when the alternator is really putting out, or the A/C is on, the idle system (when it is working properly) opens up the shutter a little more to let more air and fuel into the motor while holding the idle up at 775 instead of letting it get dragged down. There is no direct connection between the A/C and the idle speed. It is a pretty simple system and as long as you do not have any air leakage (and everything is properly adjusted and working) it works well (except for the increased idle when cold that is!)
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Niemczewski" <dmctom@...> wrote:

> Harold
>
> I'd like to know what that increase in idle is. Let me know if you see ANY
> increase with any ECU.
> The reason why I say that is because I've never seen one increase the idle
> in any weather. BTW, A/C does not increase the idle.
> First I thought I didn't see it happening because I used to live in Florida.
> I thought that it never got cold enough. But when I moved to Poland and
> started my D one cold morning (about -16C/0F) I figured that this idle
> increase is only on paper. I've tried 3 or 4 ECUs and they all work the
> same. Idle is solid and always a bit higher (on the tach which might be a

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)