[DML] Re: Rotting Deloreans

Commercial drivers usually receive an award at 1 million miles in a career.

Just for thought:

800,000 at 40mph average (probably very high) is 20,000 hours of driving - Someone driving 40 hours a week every work day for 10 years with 2weeks vacation each year would eventually reach 800,000 miles.

At 500 miles per day ? the over the road limit (at least it use to be) for commercial drivers ? would take 1,600 days or 320 weeks of 5 day weeks or 6.15 years of driving. That's doing it at a full time job with no down time.

For someone to put 800,000 miles on any car ? especially a DeLorean ? is impressive ? more than impressive.

I bought a DeLorean new from a dealer in Houston and used it for business and personal, no other primary driver, driving all over the state of Texas and a couple of DOA conventions in Las Vegas and Missouri. I logged over 90,000 miles on the speedometer and the speedometer cable was broken for a few weeks in that time - January 1982 to November 1989 at which time I sold DeLorean number 1. The frame had no flaws in it when I sold it. I had two other DeLoreans during that time in which that I logged about another 30,000 miles total until, in 1991, I dropped back to one DeLorean and went conventional for the every day. I have logged another 50,000 miles on my current DeLorean since 1991. I cannot imagine how long I would have to sit in a DeLorean seat to clock 800,000 miles.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kevin Abato" <delorean@...> wrote:

> Martin's right
> The ORIGINAL owner of that car lived on the street behind me when I grew up.   He drove it daily all year round.  I always saw it on the road.
>
> The frame might have been shot, but that car's engine ran perfect the day I took Marc to go see it.
> The couple of years it was at Marc's house it always started right up without hesitation.
>
> Ed (the original owner) told us that he had well over 500k miles on it when Marc first looked at it, and later when we picked it up to drive it home (Yes!  Marc drove it, and I rode shotgun!) Ed told us it was closer to 800K miles!
>
> Kevin Abato
> VIN# 16680
> www.grenexmedia.com

<*> Your email settings: