[DML] Re: Rotting Deloreans

I had Deloreans that I stored and COVERED----INDOORS from Day ONE--- for a way longer period of time....the net result---perfect flawless frames/dashes/seats/OEM Tires/no seized parts etc---my point NEVER EVER store a Delorean(or any nice car}outdoors even if it is for "that minor" repair that you will get too...the end results is as Dave found out.Always plan for the worst.For example after driving my Bricklin for the Summer of 1994...I drained out all the fuel changed the oil and Filter,ran the Carb dry and then even rebuilt it,waxed the car real good,drained out all the anti-freeze... then put a one off custom fitted car cover over it in my Garage...little did I know then but 15 years later it is Still sitting in my garage just as clean as when I first stored it.I could have just "parked it in my gagage" but I value my good cars enough to treat them with the respect they deserve.The end result is a car that will need very little to put back on the road...and best of all no major surprises...like frame failures /rotted/damaged interiors/bug/rodent damage or even paint/panel damage...the only real thing I know will need work is in the calipers/brakes...but that is common on all long term stored cars.
If you have it parked outside for MORE than ONE MONTH unused think of it as long term storage and do the right thing and PREP IT as if it is going into long term storage(and if possible store indoors or at the least buy a decent car cover for it and tarp the UNDERSIDE of the car...you will be glad you did it in the long run.

Claude

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle" <swingle_dmc@...> wrote:

> Yeah -  I took a few. Not much of a story, the cars were parked in 1989 or so due to some minor mechanical failure. Unfortunately they spent the bulk of the ensuing 19 years sitting outdoors in a wet muddy area, on flat tires with the frame against the ground. Both engines had rotted through at the valley and were full of mud and water.
>
> The reason I said that the pictures were old is that the building in the background is more deteriorated now.
>
> Dave S
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks,
> > are there pics of the frames available ?
> >
> > Or is there a story behind that ? Could be interesting.
> >
> > Elvis
>
> > Those pictures are much older than advertised. I removed them
> > from that location last year. Both frames were rotted completely through.
> >
> > Dave S
> >
> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey guys, does anyone know whose Deloreans are shown here ?
> > >
> > > http://www.carsinbarns.com/new1.html
> > >
> > > Seems like could use some TLC...
> > >
> > > Elvis & 6548

<*> Your email settings: