[DML] Re: Speedometer Troubles

The bounce can be caused by an inner cable that has a kink or a sharp bend. Pull the cables and lay them out on some newspaper. They should have a large radius to them with no obvious sharp bends or kinks. Reinstall them with speedometer cable lubricant. Messy but it is best, not oil or grease. Make sure you have the lower support bracket for the lower cable. Inspect the square hole in the plastic drive disc and check that the drive disc is securely locked between the spindle and rim. Wrap it's circumference with some electrical tape if you have any doubts. Some bounce at very low speeds is normal.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Adam Lee" <delorean852003@...> wrote:

> My speedometer was non operational so I decided to replace the angle drive and the lower speedometer cable. Done. Speedometer still didn't work. I pulled the upper speedometer cable from the lambda service counter and the cable end was "chewed up". So I replaced the lambda service counter and the upper speedometer cable. So everything should work great right?? WELL the speedometer is once again working BUT it bounces 5-7 mph as you increase speed. Ughhhh. With all new hardware I began to wonder what could possibly be the issue. The angle drive that I installed is loose. Even when the nut is tightened to spec and the outer axle nut is tight you can still rotate the angle drive. Could this be the problem? If so, how do I fix it? Thats about the only thing I think could be the problem. The only other problem I can think of is a problem with the speedometer. Please help.
>
> PS I believe the speedometer did the same "bounce" before it stopped working and before anything was replaced. And yes the angle drive was "loose" before I replaced it.
>
> ***Interesting side note......I have a 32 MM socket and it works great on my 81 axle nut. I have a friend who has an 82 Delorean and his axle nut is about another MM larger. Did they change the size in production?
>
> Adam Lee
> VIN 1913

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional