RE: [DML] Cooling fans - current draw

In short, a fan typically draws about 9.1 - 9.3 amps when running. Starting current is several times that, of course.

My measurements have been corroborated by Dave Swingle who has measured a ton of fans and sees all the good ones running in the same range. Of course, a fan with broken blades, bad bearings, shorted windings, or some other problem could draw a lot more. If your fans are drawing in the mentioned range, they are probably in decent shape.

Joe Kuchan

> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: dmctom@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 01:47:02 +0100
> Subject: [DML] Cooling fans - current draw
>
> Hello everyone
>
> I have a question for the more technical of you out there. Can someone take
> some current measurements? I need to know how much current the original
> cooling fans draw. The more results I get the better, so please, take out
> your meters and take some measurements. This will also let you know how good
> your cooling fans are! This is an important test... Summer heat is coming,
> make sure your fans are in good working order!
> The easiest place to do the measurement would be in the Fan Fail module
> socket. Remove the jumper and connect the meter, then turn the fans on. You
> can do that by turning the A/C on with the key on and engine not running.
> WARNING - You can destroy your meter! Make sure your meter can handle 10A or
> more! As far as I know, one fan should use about 8 amps.
>
> I can't do this test on my car for two reasons - one, my car is in a
> thousand pieces, two, I have aftermarket fans. Plus, I really want more than
> one reading.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Tom Niemczewski
> vin 6149 (in Poland!)
> Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
> dmctom@xxxxxxxxx
> www.deloreana.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional