Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:19:37 -0800
From: Peter  Gabrielsson <peter.gabrielsson@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Dr.  David's Delorean
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List  <ev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Delorean in the movie wasn't powered  by 1.21GW it was actually
1.21 JigaWatts so the whole discussion is kind of  meaningless ;). A
more interesting fact was the one of the Deloreans  used  in the movie
was electric, powered by a DC motor. It was used on  the sound stage
and as such could not have a internal combustion engine  poisoning
everyone.

>From what I've heard, it was converted by Rich  Elgin here in Monrovia,
CA. He's also supposed to still own the title to the  car which is on
display at universal.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009  at 5:44 AM,  <lawlessind@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Last week at the BBB  in south Fla. we were joined at the dragstrip by
> Dr. David Delman and  his electric Delorean. ?During one of his runs the
> track announcer ask  aloud if the car indeed had 1.21 gigawatts onboard.
> ?In jest I assume.  ?Always in search of more HP ( KW ), it got me
> thinking. ?If one were  free from the monetary, governmental,
> environmental, and technological  hurdles that exist in the real
> world... Could a 1.21 gigawatt Delorean  be built, and what would the
> performance figures be? Would an onboard  plutonium nuclear reactor
> capable of producing 1.21 gigawatts ,  (1,210,000,000 Watts), fit inside
> a Delorean interior? ?What would the  range be? ?What would be the added
> weight of the reactor and plutonium?  If you could get the power to the
> ground, what would be the 1/4 mile  time? Has this exercise already been
> done?
>
> When I was a  kid my father took me to see a movie called "The Big Bus".
> ?Dumbest  movie I ever saw, but as I recall the bus was nuclear.
>
>  Shawn

>  General EVDL support: http://evdl.org/help/

Thank  you,

Dave Delman