Re: [DML] Bar's Leak or No Bar's Leak?

If you have to replace the heater core, you're gonna have to replace
it. And if it does go, you'll know it by the greasy sludge that
constantly appears on the inside of your windshield. The only thing
that will truly protect it and the rest of the car is maintaining your
cooling system. Besides that, I have never found a stop-leak additive
for radiators that actually worked. I tried Bar's and others on an old
Dakota I had, and nothing stopped the leak or kept it from running
hot. When I had the time, I picked up a brand-new radiator and that
solved all of my problems. Even when I first discovered a minor leak
with the D's heater core, Bar's didn't even work then.

When replacing your coolant, use only old-fashioned green antifreeze.
You might possibly be able to switch to the gold-colored extended life
antifreeze recommended by Ford and Chrysler, but only if you
completely drain and flush the system first, although I wouldn't
recommend it. STAY AWAY FROM GM-SPEC, ORANGE DEX-COOL!!!

Dex-Cool is known to cause severe corrosion once it gets dirty or
overheats, as evidenced in several law suits, and the severe lack of
high-mileage GM cars with 60° V6 engines, because they have
disintegrated silicone seals in their cooling systems. Which is
probably why GM recommends their coolant additive during maintenance
procedures...

I switched over to Dex-Cool in my D after it over heated the first
time, and decided to go with it believing it would help protect my
engine. about 3 years later, I first discovered a leaking heater core,
and then water in my oil. After that, it all went down hill until it
finally ate the head gaskets and killed my car.

Take it from me, regular maintenance is the best thing for any car. No
additive can ever match the results, nor piece of mind.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp@...> wrote:

> Not always...  I agree with Tom and everyone that I would (and do)
skip it in the DeLorean system.  My main scare is the heater core as
well, since I would be less-than-enthused having to replace it.

> But some of you might be surprised to find that some auto
manufacturers actually suggest stop leak in their factory service
manuals.  My Northstar Cadillac requires stop leak tabs any time the
coolant is changed.  There is even a GM part number for it!  It
is supposed to ward off head gasket leaks and minor hose leaks.

> 196,000 miles and counting on the original engine, transmission, and
heater core, and I only recently changed the radiator due to a cracked
plastic side tank.  So it must not be too bad...  :-)

> Jake Kamphoefner
> 1063

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional