[DML] Re: Bar's Leak or No Bar's Leak?

All,

I can confirm what Jake said about the stop leak tabs being used
in several GM products since the late 1980's and early 1990's as
well as in the recent Northstar Cadillac engines.

My father worked at a GM dealership in the late 1980's and early
1990's and he sometimes brought home some of the left-over tabs
the mechanics did not always use (or need to use).

However, our family being blue oval loyalists (Ford and Mercury),
we only used these spare tabs on vehicles ready to be traded in
as Tom mentioned, that's why I have so many left in the tool box.

I will see if I can find an old package with the GM part number,
in case anyone is interested.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp@...>
wrote:

> Not always...  I agree with Tom and everyone that I would (and do)
skip it in the DeLorean system.  My main scare is the heater core as
well, since I would be less-than-enthused having to replace it.

> But some of you might be surprised to find that some auto
manufacturers actually suggest stop leak in their factory service
manuals.  My Northstar Cadillac requires stop leak tabs any time the
coolant is changed.  There is even a GM part number for it!  It
is supposed to ward off head gasket leaks and minor hose leaks.

> 196,000 miles and counting on the original engine, transmission,
and heater core, and I only recently changed the radiator due to a
cracked plastic side tank.  So it must not be too bad...  :-)

> Jake Kamphoefner
> 1063

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional