[DML] A few engine issues...

Hello again,

The last time I checked-in, I had discovered that all of my fuel
injectors failed the bench test.  None were even close on pressure and/
or spray pattern.  I installed six new OEM injectors and re-set my CO
mix (dwell meter only - got it to 49.5% and had to lean it a fair
amount).  The car now idles much smoother, but I'm still seeing an
occasional hesitation under load or at speed.

Issue #1: I pulled the spark plugs (installed three years ago almost
to the day) and discovered that they're all sooty, but perfectly dry.
My theory is that they were fouled by the bad fuel injectors and/or
the rich mixture.  Does that sound plausible?  And once I sort this
issue out (along with the others below), I'll find someone with a gas
analyzer and double-check/fine tune my mix adjustment.

Issue #2: While I had the plugs out, I did a compression test on all
cylinders.  Here's what I'm reading:

Cyl. 1: 155 PSI
Cyl. 2: 150 PSI
Cyl. 3: 150 PSI
Cyl. 4: 157 PSI
Cyl. 5: 161 PSI
Cyl. 6: 167 PSI

Should I be concerned with #2 and #3 being lower than the others,
especially since they're adjacent?  I am losing coolant, but a
pressure test shows that the radiator is a problem (and I'm hoping
it's THE problem).

Issue #3: My car has what appears to be a nagging exhaust leak at the
manifold, a valve out of adjustment, or something much more dire.
It's the usual "tick tick tick" noise and appears to be coming from
the right hand side as judged from standing behind the car with the
engine idling and also by poking around with a stethoscope.  I
adjusted the valves and one on the right required some tweaking (can't
remember which one), the others were good.  The valve adjustment made
no difference in the noise, which to me further confirms that it's
time to refresh those exhaust manifold gaskets, but with the right
cylinder compression being lower than the left side, I'm not as
confident in my diagnosis.

Here's an MP3 of the noise:
http://www.noroads.com/delorean/idling.mp3

Am I correct in that it's time to pull the exhaust?  Or, am I looking
at something worse?

Many thanks!
Travis

<*> Your email settings: