[DML] DML, It is still my preferred source of DeLorean News.

[DML] DML, It is still my preferred source of DeLorean News.

I agree with you Mike...

While I see how some people would like the web-based forum better, I don't.  When I spent more time participating on DMCTalk, I found that I missed a lot of information because threads got "hijacked".  Sure, that happens here too but here I get every message delivered to me and can quickly scan the content of the message before I decide if I am interested in reading it or deleting it (irrelevant of the subject line). That is usually no more than 2 clicks of my 3-button PC mouse (sorry MAC users, you only have one mouse button!)

On the web based forum there is too much clicking on each sub-group, and then the thread in the group, then clicking through the pages to scroll to the bottom and see what new comments have been added only to learn it is some irrelevant BS that I have no interest in.

Sending e-mail, I can spell check and use whatever editor I like.  Good thing you all don't see the junk I write before spell check!  When I was on DMCTalk, I did a lot of cut and paste between my editor and the website.  Big pia.

But, the reason I no longer actively participate in DMCTalk is because of the moderators.  When you have a specific section titled "Social Issues - Forum for discussing politics, religion, and other social issues" then edit peoples posts, clearly there is bias on the part of the moderators.

The DML is still my preferred source of DeLorean News, even with high quality magazines available.

Which brings us back to the Magazines....  The advantage a "Magazine" has (be it paper, or electronic) is accountability.  While Mike and the other moderators of the DML do a great job keeping the SPAM and Flames off the list, it is not their responsibility to edit content.  They do not guarantee that all of the technical advice given on this list is good or accurate.  It is up to the reader to be the editor of the information as they read it.

IMHO, a Magazine is different.  If I get tech advice from DCS Magazine, there is an expectation that they have reviewed the information and edited it for accuracy.  Their reputation depends on it.  I can totally see why a reader would want that, I would want that too!  The question then becomes, how much am I (or you) willing to pay for it? I am willing to pay by looking at, and supporting the advertisers that pay for it :)

Make it cheaper, and more people will read it..  One good way of making it cheaper is eliminating the printing and shipping costs!  Déjà vu..

--- On Thu, 1/8/09, mike.griese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mike.griese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Disclosure - I own the DML and DMC News.
>
> How is your proposed model different than the DML (a free
> moderated list)
> the (free) DML website on yahoogroups that provides places
> for subscribers
> to place content and the DMC News website (where users can
> submit articles,
> photos, etc. for publication - for free) ?  The only
> difference I can see is
> there is no advertising...
>
> --
> Mike