Re: [DML] DeLorean magazines.

I was just about to compose almost exactly the same message--thanks,
Marc, for beating me too it.  The "DMC News 'Zine" is a great
existence proof that on-line publishing can be done with careful
editing and attractive layout without the costs (financial and
environmental) of blowing thorough trees.   I have every issue on my
computer and still enjoy browsing through them from time to time.
Plus, if such an magazine were free to subscribers (advertisers would
still expect registration, in order to have some kind of count of
readership), my guess is that a lot more people would feel motivated
to contribute articles, since it would feel more like a service to the
larger community, not just a small pool of paid subscribers.

(FWIW: I think that there are a lot of advantages to the PDF format.
One of the advantages of traditional print is that it encourages
careful thought and creative layout, the final result tends to be of
higher overall quality, and receiving a copy is more of an "event"
than just getting some email or visiting a web page. It is arguable
that the act of "tying a ribbon" around each issue by committing it to
PDF tends to come closer to traditional print in these regards.  It is
a small point, though.)

Finally, I would argue that such a publication venue would be superior
to print as a "publication of record".  The Internet tends to do a
good job at preserving things like this (the 'Zine has been
continuously available since publication, and I'm sure there are
hundreds of copies cached on private machines and websites). Paper
magazines come and go, and as time passes the accessibility to the
valuable information they contain inevitable wanes.

As a lover of good typography and design, I do not make these comments
casually, and I fully realize that much will be lost when paper
magazines are a thing of the past.  But, I haven't subscribed to a
paper newspaper in four years now;  the Christian Science Monitor has
recently announced that it is going to a Web-only format; print
magazines of much larger circulation than anything we could imagine
are biting the dust monthly.  As much as we all may regret it, I'm
afraid that the day of specialized print magazines is rapidly coming
to an end, and trying to maintain three of them in a community of our
size is just quixotic.

--Pete Lucas
   VIN #06703

<*> Your email settings: