[DML] Re: Kind of gassy (smelling)...

You will probably need to do more, considering the state of
deterioration.
The boot will also be in an alike state.
So will the interiour of the tank.

Buy a new cover and boot and probably boot support bracket, fuel
screen filter. Perhaps consider also replacing the pump: it's
probably of the same age. Also replace the fuel filter.
I like John Hervey's three legged bracket, boot and cover.
That's however up to you.
If the accumulator is of the same age, it may be a good time to
replace that one too (better safe than sorry).
Buy some washers for the disconnected fuel lines.

Start cleaning out the tank; that's the worst part of the job.
After cleaning the tank flush the entire system with fresh fuel using
the old pump (disconnect the fuel filter and drain there).
Clean the WUR and consider cleaning the fuel distributor, injectors
and lines.
Install the new parts.

Will take the better part of a day to do it, but it will keep you
going for a long time.

Welmoed.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "formula969" <formula969@...> wrote:

> Noticing gas smells in the car, I took a look at the tank and found
this:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/formula969/3026876110_4905dea2
64_o-1.jpg

> Would this be the likely reason?  Do I need super-mechanic skills to
> replace that rubber cover?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> -Ryan

<*> Your email settings: