[DML] Re: High Idle only when warm

Check out the Quadrant Link. It is the small link that connects the
throttle spool with the throttle arm. Over time the socket ends wear
and allow a lot of play. Then, when the throttle spool is returned to
the idle position, the throttle arm is not fully returned and so the
idle motor switch does not get "set". and the throttle plates are
still cracked open. Be careful, those socket ends have tiny clips just
like the ones on the struts and they MUST be removed first before
trying to undo the quadrant link. Even if it is very loose,
lengthening the link will help, you will just have a little lost
motion when you first step on the gas pedal. The Quadrant link has one
end threaded LEFT-HAND and the other threaded right hand. I have also
seen the ball end on the throttle spool loosen and move causing lost
motion too.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Tait" <TTait@...> wrote:

> Hi all.  I've got an idle problem that has cropped up.  When the engine
> is at full temp,  and I push in the clutch the idle will occasionally
> stay high, sometimes 3000 rpm, sometimes around 1800.  This is
> repeatable but intermittent.  The car operate perfectly when the car is
> still warming up.
>

> The throttle cable/spool have returned to fully closed even while the
> RPMs are high.  Nothing appears to be binding.
>

> The microswitch for throttle-closed is operating properly and properly
> adjusted.
>

> The idle speed motor is less than a year old.  I swapped on a Volvo idle
> speed motor and there was no change.
>

> The temp sensor for the idle speed ECU is about 3 years old.  The wire
> to this temp sensor had been previously damaged, and it has been
> spliced.
>

> I could swap the ECU with the other car, but I wanted to get input from
> here first - I prefer actual troubleshooting to just blindly swapping
> parts whenever possible.  I suspect that this is related to my temp
> sensor or the splice in its wire.
>

> Suggestions as to where to look next would be appreciated.
>

> Tom
>
> 10902
>
> 03238

<*> Your email settings: