[DML] Re: overnight running in garage

To clarify things here for everyone, Carbon Dioxide is not directly
poisonous, no. Neither is Helium, Nitrogen, Nitrous-Oxide, nor many
other inert gasses.

HOWEVER do you need oxygen to breath. If you were exposed to an
environment with a heavy enough concentration of ANY of these gases
within a confined space (say like your garage with the door closed),
you absolutely do RISK DEATH! You WILL asphyxiate! It is the EXACT
same thing as someone cutting off your breathing by choking you.
Oxygen can't enter into your bloodstream, and you WILL suffocate.
There is no pain, just drowsiness because of your lack of oxygen (same
exact reason you yawn) until you pass out and eventually die.

This is why when working underground, in mines, and other confined
spaces, ventilation is ALWAYS required. Sewer gas isn't going to kill
you. You drive over a manhole or by a storm gutter and smell that
nasty stench, but you still live. Now say if you were to enter into
that same sewer where there is no oxygen available to breath, yeah,
you're gonna die. Perfect example:

http://tinyurl.com/4nwzfl

Stay safe! Whenever working on a vehicle, running a vehicle, or
working with chemicals, ALWAYS remain in a well ventilated area!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@...> wrote:

> David Teitelbaum wrote:
>
> >You think CO2 is not poisonous?
> >

> I know it's not poisonous - you and I breath it out every couple of
> seconds, it's emitted by plants during respiration, it's one of the
> building blocks of life. It's NOT a pollutant, despite what the
> environmentalists will have you believe. It is also not odourless in
> high concentrations (like the top of a freshly poured glass of fizzy
> drink, or a fire extinguisher). What you're talking about is simple
lack
> of oxygen, not the effect of CO2 - and you would most likely wake up in
> that unlikely event.
>
> Carbon monoxide is very, very poisonous and has the effect of replacing
> oxygen in the bloodstream, IIRC. A person inhaling it in their sleep
> will never know because it causes unconsciosness.
>
> I'm not arguing against responsible use of CO alarms, but CO2 is not a
> dangerous gas, and a car equipped with a cat will emit only tiny
amounts
> of CO. Try putting a CO meter up the exhaust of a DeLorean with a cat,
> and see how much it reads. I regularly work with de-catted DeLoreans
and
> adjust the mixture using my CO meter, which should be 1% for a lambda
> equipped engine and 1.5-2% CO for a B28E metering equipped engine
> (popular over here for the added performance).
>
> Martin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: