[DML] Re: overnight running in garage

You might want to consider adding a bottle of Techron to your next
tank of gas in order to help get rid of any minuscule carbon build up,
but it shouldn't be that bad. Running the engine hard definitely
helped quite a bit. Otherwise, no, you haven't done any harm to
anything. As others have said, the car ran as it was intended to. Your
Catalytic Converter is probably fine. Unless the thing starts glowing
red from too much raw fuel from a screwed up system, it'll be ok.

Two things though. 1. You already heard from others about the dangers
of CO poisoning. You had the garage door open though, so that's
probably what saved you. Of the cases I've heard of even here in Vegas
where families have died, they were running generators in closed
garages. CO sensors aren't a bad idea, but I'd don't think you have to
worry about something like this again. We all learn from our mistakes.

2. Don't try to exercise your engine by simply running the engine for
20 minutes a week. You're actually doing more damage to the engine
than if you just let it sit. Even if you rev it. Reason being is that
when the engine is cold, condensation accumulates in the exhaust
system and in the crank case. You have to get the engine fully up to
temperature for a decent amount of time to boil it all off. Water
remaining will corrode your exhaust, and break down the oil and
promote corrosion within the engine itself. If you don't put the car
into a full hibernation for the winter, at least run some fuel
stabilizer through the fuel system before you park it, and just leave
it alone for the winter.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "stephenucedu" <steve10000@...> wrote:

> Group,
>
> Alright, I did something really odd last night. I have one of those
"near perfect" Deloreans
<SNIP>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional