[DML] Re: Fuel tank baffle

Both the terms "low level" and "low fuel warning light on" seem to be
subject to different interpretation when reading the meter.

My previous D (with John's baffle!) lit the warning at about 3 gln
left in the tank and the needle pointing to 1/8. When driving the
tank to engine cutting off, there's still about one and a half gln
left in the tank (that was also true for the original baffle).
My 6513 (also with John's baffle) starts the warning light at about
1/3 of a tank. It stays on from some 1/4 tank. When the needle points
to 0 gln and filling up it only needs some 9-10 gln. Since this car
came with this baffle I have no reference how low it could go before
John's baffle had been installed.

What I do know is that a proper set up of John's baffle gives the
same result as with the original baffle.
I made a minor change to John's baffle: in some of his baffles the
mounting hole was in the lower cross member. I drilled a hole in the
upper one. This assures the bottom of the baffle is tighly fixed to
the bottom of the tank. Since it is smaller, it can be emptied
quicker. I drilled some small holes at the bottom edge to allow fuel
to come in even when at low fuel level.
I also assured that the fuel filter is as deep as possible in the
baffle.
Up to now I have been content with the results, regardless of the
critisism of some.

Welmoed.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683@...> wrote:

> Let the tank get real low, I mean real low.
>
> With my Delorean I could drive it when the low fuel light came on,
> can you?
>
> Mark V
>

> On Aug 18, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Farrar Hudkins wrote:
>
> > I've never had that problem with my tuna can.
> >
> > Farrar Hudkins
> > #2613 "Sparky"
> >
> > Martin Gutkowski wrote:
> >>
> >> .. which when low on fuel will work fine whilst drivng downhill
and
> >> braking, but will starve when driving uphill and accellerating.
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > To address comments privately to the moderating team, please
address:
> > moderators@...

> > www.dmcnews.com
> >
> > To search the archives or view files, log in at http://
> > groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnewsYahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)