[DML] Re: John Hervey's Fuel Tank Pickup

[DML] Re: John Hervey's Fuel Tank Pickup

The stock pick-up and baffle does NOT ride on the surface of the fuel
if it is installed properly. In fact, next to using deteriorated or
dirty parts, improper installation is probably the the second biggest
cause of problems in the fuel tank. I will agree it can be difficult
to properly assemble the stock parts inside the tank and get
everything positioned just right. Once done though, it is a pretty
reliable system. Having aluminum parts in the bottom of the tank is
not the best idea. Water also gets to the bottom and will corrode the
aluminum. The plastic/nylon parts are not affected by water or fuel.
Dirt is the biggest problem followed by old, stale fuel. Just because
the stock parts don't last forever is not a good enough reason to
reengineer the fuel tank assembly. If, after 25 years, some parts are
worn out, IMHO just replace them as long as correct replacements are
still available. The baffle is also like a small container where the
returned, excess fuel is dumped into the tank. That way, when the tank
is very low the pump can still get enough fuel so it doesn't suck air.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> Probably should have posted this alongside my tuna baffle comments:
>
> John's fuel tank pickup is genius in its simplicity. The only flaw is
> the open bottom baffle, not only in design, but also in construction
> (mine broke). The remainder of his pickup is excellent engineering.
> With a proper baffle, it simply is impossible to starve the pump for

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)