[DML] Re: DeLorean reliability

Tires-Over 7 years old are not recommended to be used by tire manufacurers

Water pump-For reliablity it should be replaced along with all of the
seals, gaskets, hoses, belts, and bearings that are included in the
"Master" kit

Radiator-Plastic tank/aluminum core never intended to last 25 years

Unless you have the full history you have to assume the fluids have
reached the end of their service life particularly brake and clutch fluid.

Accumulator-I do not know of an origonal still operating in a car that
is driven regularly that has not failed. If it hasn't been replaced
then it should be.

Header bottle- see Radiator (in this case ALL PLASTIC!)

Muffler Bracket-Known weak point, breaks on bend.

Struts only last for a few years at a time on the doors, others longer.

Wiper blades-They just go bad and you won't know until it rains!

I guess you should have come to my seminar at DCS '08! Many of these
things have been discussed in tech articles in Delorean magazines over
the years and on this Forum. My BIG point in mentioning this stuff is
there is no excuse for a Delorean breaking down (in most cases). If
you don't do through PM and replace old parts then it is no surprise
when they do fail! With all of the years of experience we have in the
Delorean fleet we can reliably predict many of the common problems
that will appear. Learn from other's experience or ignore it at your
own risk.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dan Rosenstein <danrose@...> wrote:

> David, this is a great list (and a valid point).
>
> I know that some of these have articles on the DMC News archives,
but I don't believe all of them do.
> Perhaps it would be valuable to take this list and assemble a
concise deep dive on them?
> Going farther than the newbie document.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional