Re: [DML] PCV valve failure [was: Unprotected DeLorean Ignition Circuit]

Re: [DML] PCV valve failure [was: Unprotected DeLorean Ignition Circuit]

For those that do not know it is Not wise to just leave it open to
the atmosphere or the other extreme...blocking it off,for one thing
you are polluting the air that we all have to breathe,number two it
will leave a residual oily mess over everything in the engine
compartment,in the old days(in the 1950's)they used to run a metal
tube to the bottom of the car to exhaustthe crankcase gasses into the
air,what today we recirculate back into the engine.
Basically what the PVC valve does(it's just basically a one way valve)
is it takes the unburnt blow-by gasses that leak past the
cylinders,to recirculate back into the combustion chamber,with the
incoming air/fuel mixture in effect burning a FUEL Source,that would
have been lost into the atmosphere...so basically you Do get better
gas mileage with a good working PVC valve.
The reason you DO NOT want to block it off is,that the blow-by,if not
exhausted will do two things,the first is that it will
settle/contaminate your oil,thereby forcing you to do much earlier
oil changes,or possibly cause engine damage because of
fouled/contaminated gasses that settle into the engine oil.
The other thing it will do is build internal pressure in the
crankcase area causing the pan gaskets and the valve cover gaskets to
fail,(and any other gaskets that it can reach)as the built-up
pressure will find a escape route through the least resistance,and
that means usually blowing thru any gaskets,that come in contact with
the crankcase gasses.

Unless the gasses were directly being pumped out onto the exhaust
manifold(s),It is almost impossible for it to catch fire.

Again what most likely caused his engine fire was a internal meltdown
INSIDE the Distributor,most likely having to do with the Pick-up
coil/Module/or Capacitor or any Combination of the three,it certainly
was NOT because of the rotor or Distributor cap,as from what I could
see in the pic's those items would have Burnt from The Top,and since
the top area was unburnt,it rules those out.Since the Pick-up
coil/Module/Capacitor,are in the "burn" area that only leaves those
to overheat/melt/burn.

Claude

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@...> wrote:

> Does your new intake accommodate PCV?  if not, Did you leave the
breather hose open to the atmosphere?  or cap it off?

> For what it is worth, lots of people running with turbos remove the
PCV function from the engine.  The gasses typically escape in to the
atmosphere through the open hose on the oil breather.  IMHO, David's
theory only makes sense if you capped off the large hose on the oil
breather.  That is the route of least resistance for the crankcase
gasses to escape.  I don't see how enough "stuff" could escape
through the distributor to cause a fire if the breather is
unobstructed.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: