[DML] Re: PCV valve failure [was: Unprotected DeLorean Ignition Circuit]

[DML] Re: PCV valve failure [was: Unprotected DeLorean Ignition Circuit]

The PRV doesn't have a PCV "valve" as such, at least not as a common
replacement part. In the stock configuration it's a controlled leak
through the oil filler cap into the cold start injector tube.

When you got rid of the stock intake, where did you hook the two
hoses that used to go to the oil filler cap? (Originally one went to
the air cleaner housing, the other to the cold start injector tube
where the crankcase gases are actually pulled into the intake and
burned.

If you just left both hoses "open", the engine is no longer PCV
(Positive Crankase Ventilation) and is now just vented to the
atmosphere. I can see how this would allow fumes to build up in the
crankcase, but it shouldn't be pressurized unless the two connections
on the oil filler cap were plugged. THAT would certainly cause
issues.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Farrar <fhudkins@...> wrote:

> David,
>
> Now that's an interesting theory! I've never had a PCV valve fail
before
> on any of my cars or truck. I understood that they are extremely
low
> maintenance. But you'd know more than me about this stuff, so let
me
> pick your brain. :-)
>
> Is it common for PCV valves to fail while a car is sitting? Or
could it
> have been on the way to failure and the fact that it happened when
and
> where it happened (after an 800-mile trip and a two-day rest) could
have
> been a mere coincidence?
>
> Farrar Hudkins
> #2613 "Sparky"
>
> David Teitelbaum wrote:
> >

> > I have another possible theory. Assume this happened on a
carbureated
> > car. If the car did not have proper crankcase ventilation the
> > crankcase *could* have built up positive pressure which could
include
> > oil vapors and gas fumes.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional